VST Host Background Processing

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Hi All,

wonder if someone can help.  I have a VST plugin that I use with adobe audition.  When the GU is loaded the processes in the GU automatically run.  For example animation of buttons run and text changes.  I have written a vb.net vst host app which is working great, loads the vst and I can set parameters and read parameters,  just what I need.  However the Plugin as some automated events which don't appear to work using the VST.NET framework or am I doing something wrong?

The only way I can update the VST plugin is to manually call the plugin.updatedisplay

Hope someone can help.  Cheers

Duncan

Coordinator
Apr 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Are you calling the Idle method every now and then...?

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:23 AM
Edited Apr 27, 2010 at 4:11 AM

No, Do I have to?  I will try that now.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:46 AM

tried this, does not help.  I don't know if i am explaining myself correctly.  Basically I have a control on the VST - When I switch it on, the control is animated and slides up and down.  When I switch it on using the vst framework to host nothing happens.  It's like I need to enable background processing or somthing but I have not figured out what.

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2010 at 6:32 AM

You could try to find out what calls are made to the plugin (in another host) by using the PluginWrapper sample and switching on diagnostics. Perhaps that will shed some light on how these animations are driven/triggered?

The PluginWrapper sample (see source code, not in the release yet) allows you to load any VST plugin and intercept all calls to and from it. By placing a host config file (for instance cubase.exe.config) next to the host and enabling diagnostic trace you can view all call that are made. You can even set breakpoints in the PluginWrapper sample code to inspect values in more detail.

Hope it helps.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:28 AM

thanks - downloaded pluginwrapper code however there appears to be missing files.  Have i got the latest version.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM

i am missing the following file

Error 1 Source file 'C:\Users\_AssemblyInfo\AssemblyInfo.General.cs' could not be opened ('Unspecified error ') Jacobi.Vst.Core

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2010 at 5:07 PM
I will correct it. For now you can simply remove the file. Thanx.