vst plugin

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:47 AM

hi guys,

thanx for the good work you are doing. its really cool. i have a slight proglem and was wondering if anybody could be of help. i want to creat a vst plugintrying to be hosted on fl studio or cubase. it holds some beats any of which plays when selected.

i used the jacobi.vst.midinote.mapper sample as a guide and have now been able to host the plugin on fl studio.

now here comes the problem:  there is no communication between plugin and host. i want to load the audio (.wav) files from plugin onto host when a "load" button is clicked.

i have doing all i can, but to no avail. maybe its becos i am new at this. i thought it would be fun to be able to do this.

CAN SOME SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME

Coordinator
Aug 21, 2010 at 10:30 AM

The VST interfacing specification were made with a very specific purpose in mind. This purpose mostly revolves around audio and midi processing.

A VST plugin is not an 'application' plugin - where a plugin has complete access to the hosting application.

Bottom line: it sounds like you want to do something VST was not designed for. So it will not work.

All IXxxCommands interfaces in VST.NET represent all methods that can be called on both plugin and host. If there is no method that suits your purpose, it cannot be done.

Hope it helps.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:28 AM

hi obiwanjacobi,
i am so happy you (the jacobi himself) replied my mail. thank you very much.
i think the problem is me. i couldn't explain myself well. i wily try again.
i want to do something like 'groove agent 3' vst plug in, but in a very basic form.
i just want audio files to be loaded from de vst to fl studio or cubase(as a wave file and not a midi)
i use the MidiNote Mapper sample. and i can load the plugin. it plys the audio files alright.
now i want to know if thers a way to send them unto the cubase woking field.
i am very new to this. am i am sure theres a ways or codes written to creat a channel for communication between all ur samples and a host.
but i may not hv sported it. i will take a 2nd look at it
but please help me if u can.
thanks

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2010 at 6:49 AM

Sorry, for the late response, I totally missed your message.

I am not familiar with 'Groove Agent 3' and not aware that there is a way to communicate anything to the host other than defined in the IVstHostCommands interfaces.

There is an option in the original SDK to use host specific calls (not implemented in VST.NET). Could that be used by the Groove Agent plugin? That would mean it will probably not work in all Hosts...

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:00 PM

hi,
thanks for the reply. i really appreciate your help. i will take a closer look at that (host specific call) aspect of SDK.
but there's this other problem i was hoping you could help solve. its still something to do with MidiNoteMapper sample.
my plugin appears (in fl studio) under effect. But the original midinotemapper sample appear under instrument.
i think the code below should be responsible for determining whether plugin should be an instrument or effect.

public MyPlugin()
            : base("afrithm", new VstProductInfo("VST.NET

Code Samples", "Jacobi Software (c) 2009", 1000),
                VstPluginCategory.Synth, VstPluginCapabilities.NoSoundInStop, 0, 0x30313233)
       {
            afrithmui  = new afrithmUI();
       }

is there something wrong?

thank you

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Take a look at the CreatePluginInfo in the StdPluginCommandStub (at the bottom).

Here you can see what other factors are influencing how a host might categorize a plugin.

Hope it helps.