.NET 3.5, WPF?

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:25 PM
VST.NET targets .NET 2, are there any gotchas when using .NET 3.0 or 3.5 stuff, or is simply targeting .NET 3.5 enough?

Any plans for also allowing WPF and not just Forms for the UI (it would be nice with a snazzy resizeable UI :-)? What would it take, just add a similar WindowsWPFWrapper, or is it more involved?

Cheerio/Kristian
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2008 at 10:53 AM
VST.NET targets .NET 2.0 to have a minimal requirement for plugin assemblies and the client machines they're installed on. But an unmanged host (.exe) will always load the latest CLR version installed. So if you have .NET 3.5 installed it should load the latest CLR version (which is 2.0 I believe). So simply target your assembly at the .NET version you need and it should work (although I haven't tested this myself yet).

There are no plans to support WPF directly (simply because I don't know how and I haven't got the time to figure it out). The current support for WPF is through WinForms hosting. You create a WinForms UserControl and place the WPF extension control on that. In the extension control you can use WPF controls.

BTW: Thanx for your bug reports. Really appriciate that.
Oct 4, 2008 at 3:02 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM
hi Obiwan,

here's a vote for WPF support. The unmanaged crowd won't know what hit 'em!

thanks,

Danny
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2008 at 3:13 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Hi Danny,

Yeah, they probably wont ;-)

Problem is that I really dont have the time to sort it out. Just implement it using the extensibility provided through WinForms. It might not be ideal but it should work.

If you have the information on how to attach a native parent HWND to a WPF Window or Control (in other words, write the WPFWrapper class), I might consider it ;-)

Thanks,
Marc Jacobi

PS: You should really create an Issue item. These support voting. I've created one for you ;-)
Oct 4, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Hi Marc,

I think the solution requires a smidgen of C++/CLR and uses the HwndSource facility. The example looks quite simple.

I haven't done more than build the msdn example - but may try to implement it in VST.NET the coming weeks.

This is one of the most exciting projects on Codeplex. Keep up the good work!

regards,
Danny
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM
Hi Danny,

The links seems to broken?

Take a look at the WindowsFormsWrapper class for the form you can use to implement it.

Thanx a lot!
Marc Jacobi
Oct 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Hi Marc,

I should've mentioned msdn seems to be down today! Should be back up soon.

I'll take a look the wrapper and see what I can do with it.

regards,

Danny