Here's a quick update.
I took Jacobi.Vst.Interop.dll and renamed it to DelayTest.dll
I took the Jacobi.Vst.Samples.Delay.dll and renamed it to DelayTest.net.dll
I copied the dll from the core and framework dirs to the same directory as above. Thus, there were 4 dlls in total in that directory. And again, the directory was a sub dir in a vst dir that cakewalk had setup.
Upon scan, cakewalk asked zero questions. It's looks to not care about other dlls in the dir, so no need to use the vstdll naming.
Upon re-scan completion, I was able to drop the delay into an effects biin. However, it's not delay. But I did see the simple delay UI come up. It's making some zipper noise when the delay slider is adjusted, and the left audio seems to go quite when the
delay is activated. I'll try to figure out what's up next when I try to build my own dlls.
But for those with cakewalk, it loads no problem.