Using VST.NET in open source projects?

Topics: License
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I have taken the MidiMapper sample code and made many improvements to it, turning it into a fairly polished VST that I'd like to distribute as open source.

The VST.NET Library itself is LGPL (for libraries), that's straight forward.

However, can you please clarify the licensing for the sample code?   I was intending to release the source under the MIT License like I do for most of my other hobby projects, with credit to Jacobi Software of course. 

Can you please clarify if that's appropriate, or if another license should apply to derivatives of the sample code?

Also, may I bundle the VST.NET 1.0 Binaries with my VST (with a copy of the LGPL license and a link back to this site), just to get users started more quickly?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Technically all sources in the project are LGPL.

But I don't mind if you put out your version of the sample under MIT license. The point was (of the LGPL) that if you use the source code, you must make it open source also. And that is what you're doing. But please do post the credits and the url to this site in your version, so they know where to get the updates. ;-) 

Also I don't mind if you bundle the binaries IF you list the license AND the url.

Let me know the final url and I will link to your page.

Thanx for asking ;-)
Marc 

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM
Edited Nov 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM

OK, there are still a few issues to sort out, but here's a current snapshot.

https://github.com/LeifBloomquist/MIDIMapperX