This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Using MEF for the HostFramework

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:36 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM
Hi Mark,

Congratulations on the latest release of VST.NET!

I was wondering if you had been considering using MEF for composition in the host framework. This could allow for far richer possibilities than current VST hosts are capable of.

More power to you!

regards,

Danny
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM
Hi Danny,

Thanx!

Well, I didn't know about MEF (until now) and I wasn't planning any Host Framework at all to be honest...

I have no experience with building hosts (some at using them ;-) so I figured that this is not the time to try to build a framework for it (thats why I didn't close the Issue yet).

I have no clear idea of what the typicall problems are with a host and what the best way is to solve them (as I did -more or less- with plugins). So I choose to simply do the Interop for a Host in such a way that it is hopefully usable in any type of host. Then those people that want to create a managed Host can layer their own framework on top of that.

One thing I might want to fix is the double interop that occurs now when a managed host loads a managed plugin.
Because I use the same interfaces on both the Plugin-side as the Host-side, it shouldn't be too hard to get that interop out of the way completely. I probably can even reuse the ManagedPluginLoader (in Core) used in the Plugin-Interop for that task.

EDIT: MEF look pretty cool. Thanks for the tip! ;-)