Do we need support for older methods (VST < 2.4) in VST.NET?

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:51 PM
I read the question in the topic in another wiki page.

I don't know if it refers to the plugin side of VST.NET or to the host side.

I'd like to be able to load older plugin in a VST.NET.

Sincerely I'm not sure if I'm going to use it or if I'll wrap some other C++ host code like VstHost. I don't want to spend time thinking of what plug-in I can user or cannot use in a given context. I use several plug-ins that cannot be loaded by VSR.NET at the moment.

Is it difficult to make VST.NET able to load them?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM
Edited Mar 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM
Good idea to start this discussion.

I have not analysed the older methods yet, so I don't know if there are any difficult ones there. But I do know that its a whole bunch of them. So even if each individual method is easy it would mount up to a considerable amount of work as a whole. And if you do it, you would expect to be support for managed Plugins and managed Hosts as well.

But I've been working on VST.NET for almost a year now and I'm planning on releasing the 1.0 version very soon and move onto other things. That does not mean that I will abandon VST.NET, it just means I won't be as active with it (I'm still trying to write my uber-Midi-application ;-).

I've created an issue so people can vote on the matter: http://vstnet.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3917.