Trying to begin a MIDI project

Topics: Editor UI, Getting Started, Midi, Newbie
Aug 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Hello all

I want to develop a application to load a VST plugin, and convert a MIDI file to Wave file. I find this library looks maybe useful.

So I download the .dll and install the templates.
I create a VstNetMidiPlugin template in .NET framework 4.5. There are some errors...
I add the references Jacobi.Vst.Core. Framework and Interop. I found the references from CLR4(means .NET framework 4?) have errors, "Framework does not exist in Jacobi.Vst". But CLR2 is work.
And then, there are one more error. It need reference "System.configuration", and I just add it. Error is gone.

Okay, I can run the project. But it return this is a library class, so it can't begin.
I try hard to create a interface, so I add a new WinForm project. But I founda can't refer VstNetMidiPlugin anything. And I try some other way to begin my project, but just fail.

I am so confused, please give me some tips to continue my project.
Thanks.
Aug 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Hey dohhlight,

I haven't used Obiwans newest build but his project is brilliant as I'm sure you're finding out, getting your setup can be a pain as Visual Studio will get touchy with interops but you only have to do it once :)

I guess id ask whether you have a 64 bit version of Windows? I'm using Win 8.1-64 and have to set the cpu target to Any Cpu to get it working ... Core and Framework certainly have to be changed anyways...

If I get a chance tonight ill pull the latest build and have a go.
Aug 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Hello again,

I just pulled a copy of 70713 and went through the build process;

The long and the short is that the templates are targeting Framework 2.0 which is lower than the Core, Framework and Interop references.

So, setting your new plugins Properties\Application\Target to .Net Framework 4 should allow you to build it.

Copy your Jacobi.Vst.Core.dll, Jacobi.Vst.Framework.dll, VstNetMidiPlugin.net.vstdll and VstNetMidiPlugin.dll to your host folder and you should be good to go...

What version of VS are you using ? And which host ?
Aug 4, 2014 at 1:31 AM
Thanks for helps,

I'm using Windows 8-64bit, and Visual Studio 2012.
I set it and warning are reduced, The project looks better.
But I still don't know how to go.
I created a new WinForm project and add the dlls. I can't see and use anything in VstNetMidiPlugin...
And I expect there are some sample code lead me to get start?
I hope it is not too much to ask. Or just tell me where they are in the documentation?
Aug 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Not at all, I'm out and about at the moment but will dig out a working midi plugin later.

I'm pretty sure there are working demos in the download - is it the Source/ Samples folder - I cant remember off the top of my head ?

Back in a bit...
Aug 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Edited Aug 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM
There is also some documentation in the tab Doc tab above and also a downloadable chm in the Downloads tab too I think. Might help a bit.
Coordinator
Aug 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM
dohhlight wrote:
I want to develop a application to load a VST plugin, and convert a MIDI file to Wave file. I find this library looks maybe useful.
So you want to write a host application that loads a midi file and runs VST (instruments) to produce an audio file..?

Yet by the looks of it you are trying to build a VST plugin?

Refer to the Host sample application to get a notion how to use VST.NET in a Host scenario. But I must warn you: writing VST Hosts is not easy and it requires intricate knowledge of the VST protocol.

The samples can be found in the download .zip as well as the Source Code tab...

Hope it helps,
Marc
Aug 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Edited Aug 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Thanks for helps again

There are a folder named "Sample" in the zip "VST.NET RTM".
But...except the folders "Sample/CLR2/AnyCPU/Debug" and "Release" had some DLL and XML.
Others folders are all empty!

I checked the files and redownloaded they many time, but can't find the code.
I think there are must something wrong...
Coordinator
Aug 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Nah, just never got round to making CLR4 projects for the samples...

You can use the CLR2 project and change the target .NET Framework in the project settings.
Aug 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM
That's OK.
But there are just DLL. XML and .exe? No sample code?
That empty folders are right?
Aug 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM
That's strange, I have the expected demo plugin projects I my Source\Samples folder. Did you grab the latest download package from the downloads page ?

Sent from my Windows Phone

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Oh, I found it in Version 8.0.
Looks like I have to study it many time.

Best thanks.
Aug 5, 2014 at 10:23 PM
You might want to look into a midi file parsing library first.