This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Universal Apps

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM
This needs to happen!

https://vstnet.codeplex.com/workitem/10968

I feel that the biggest hurdle will be getting the Windows 10 app to host unsafe C++ code.
Aug 7, 2015 at 4:06 PM
I find the new VS2015 project templates very confusing, but it looks like I just need to use the Portable ClassLibrary project templates...?

Will try to try something this weekend...
Aug 8, 2015 at 7:31 AM
Microsoft have made it all very confusing!

The easiest way I know of to get the new stuff working is to use the VS 2015 web installer. You just run that, click Modify, and choose
Universal Windows App Development Tools (not to be confused with Windows 8 Tools - they've all been dumped).

The template will be called:
Blank App (Universal Windows)
Aug 8, 2015 at 11:12 AM
I just installed the VS2015 Express edition that has everything in it. The Blank App is an exe project - perhaps nice to test with but I need the (portable) class libraries for VST.NET...

Looks like they even got a C++ one.
Oct 25, 2015 at 1:37 AM
I've been porting a Silverlight app at work to Universal Windows at work. It's looking like a great platform, but very cut down from .Net. Anybody else looking in to this platform? It would make a lot of sense to get VSTs working on the Windows 10 platform because that's going to be the future of Windows, and Windows devices.
Oct 28, 2015 at 3:42 PM
I have looked at it but I was totally confused, especially for the C++ project - because I use a mixed project (C++ and .NET)...
Also I do not quite understand yet what the consequences are when moving to universal apps. As you say, the .NET framework is different.

Frustrated, I have not spent any more time on the subject...
Oct 29, 2015 at 1:49 AM
@Marc
I understand the technology is akin to house arrest.
Your app resides in the walled garden but you get a good glimpse of heaven native goodness.

Is that it? Documentation is a bit misleading.
Oct 31, 2015 at 12:28 AM
I'm still a bit baffled by UWP. I have been porting my application framework at my job from .Net to UWP. It's not too far from .Net Framework but it's more closely aligned to .Net Core which is a streamlined version of the .Net framework.

The main reason for why you would bother with UWP is that the UI has been stripped right back to bare bones so that it is good for phones, tablets, and desktop. It's perfect for what I am trying to do right now. I very much think that the future of synthesis will be all about mobile. Let me diverge for a minute...

When you're talking about synths, you're talking about working with musicians. Musicians are not programmers. What they want is something that feels like an instrument - like a keyboard, or a set of drum pads. Musicians want toys they can take on stage an manipulate in real time. The way this is currently done is by taking laptops on stage, and hooking up tactile keyboards, and other peripherals to the laptop. People will be doing this forever, but my idea is to design a synth where this not necessary - all manipulation can be done from within the software itself. I.e. knobs, buttons etc. are designed for a tablet (or perhaps even a phone) that directly runs the software as opposed to rigging up OSC integration between the app and external peripherals. In other words, the aim for me is to create a synth that can run on a tablet as an actual instrument in and of itself.

Anyway, for the record, I believe that you can compile a C++ project for UWP. Here's an article:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt186162.aspx

You'd just have to compile the code for each platform that you want to target with UWP: x86, ARM, X64 etc.