This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

GetParameterProperties() returns null?

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I'm trying to add some functionality to Host example application. What I'm doing is trying to retrieve parameter's meta-properties like type and value range. However on majority plugins PluginContext.PluginCommandStub.GetParameterProperties(i) returns null. I'm wondering is this a bug or plugins indeed do not return this information? What's more interesting that plugins that fail to report that information in my application can be correctly edited within host editor in some other host program (i.e. VSTHost). Any ideas?

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Yes, not many plugins implement that method. I think it is not common knowlegde with the plugin developers. I'm not sure if it is a bug or a feature ;-)

VST.NET assumes a parameter value range (externally) of [0, 1] if you use the VstParameterNormalizationInfo until a call is made to the GetParameterProperties method. I think this value range is correct because most plugin developers talk of this parameter value range.

As a host I would assume the same value range of [0, 1] for all parameters of a plugin that returns null for the GetParameterProperties method. There are specific methods available for other meta info for parameters (GetParameterLabel, GetParameterName etc).

Hope it helps.
Marc Jacobi