This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

'Database' in VST.NET plugin

Topics: Plugin Programs
Sep 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I'm trying to pick (and use) a database in my VST plugins.

From what I can see I can't access the data in my 'app'.config file - ConnectionManager.ConnectionStrings returns 2 connections :- 1) aspnetdb.mdf 2) LocalMySqlServer which aren't in my config file and are obviously being picked up from machine or somesuch.

Anyway, these aren't mine and I've tried all sorts of name / file location combinations to get my 'In'. It's stopping me using EntityFramework as this will only work correctly when the con strings are in the config with the correct meta instructions - I presume because of the Application domain boundaries etc.

I do have Access working with LinqToSql but that means another driver to install on deployment which I also want to avoid. And it's Access :-/

Is anyone using a DB to store data within their VST like this. I could use a flat file or XML I suppose but it's not as tidy, I'm trying to wrap a synth module so there is a lot of patch data to store and potentially lots of saving / exports too.

I just thought that I might not be the only one doing this ?

Many thanks

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I should say that I was using SQLCe 4.0 - which requires all sorts of tools and templating to work.

I've moved back to 3.5 (which has a built in 'characteristic' with Identities not working in the Entities) and at least I can use a literal configuration string - which may be enough.

Anyway, progress.

Thanks me.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Oh, it's the namespace in the meta data; it's not obvious because the designers have a different namespace.

I'll have to remember that one.