This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Released my VST.NET powered MIDI Plugin

Topics: Midi, My
Mar 12, 2013 at 4:06 AM
I've been working on a VST.NET powered MIDI Utility/Creativity plugin for the last two years and finally released the Beta version.

Thanks a million Marc for making VST.NET and for all the help you've given me whenever I got stuck!! This was my first .Net project so without VST.NET I'd probably still be tracking down memory leaks and seg faults.

If anyone has a chance to check it out I'd love to get some feedback.
MIDI Shape Shifter

Better yet if anyone is looking for a project to contribute to then let me know.

Coordinator
Mar 12, 2013 at 6:21 AM
Congrats. Looks excellent! Hope I can find the time to give it a spin.
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Hi, it does but I have a question - in Cubase it shows up as an Instrument not an effect or midi plugin, is this right?

The reason I ask is that I have just started developing a VST.NET plugin and have found no way of getting Cubase to see it is a midi plugin. What you set VstPluginCategory to changes nothing
Mar 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Edited Mar 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM
<edit> double post

Further experimentation allows me to load the plugin as an instrument and then route the midi out of that into another track but really I would like the plugin to be an effect that can be inserted on any track
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Yeah, Cubase is notoriously difficult with Midi plugins. You should be ok in most others hosts though...
Mar 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM
From what I understand VST midi effects are a part of the VST spec that almost no host supports. So most MIDI "effects" you'll find are really instruments that just don't touch the audio. This is why the sample MIDI plugins that come with VST.NET have a DummyAudioHandler class.
Mar 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Thanks obi - yes I have done a bit more exploring and Cubase is a pain - which is a real pain as it is the host I use!

robcheese- your right but you cannot insert VTS.NET midi plugins into a channel in Cubase. It does not seem to matter if it has audio out or not (I tested with and without and with and without effect and synth flags). So in the case of Cubase the VST.NET sample midi plugs may as well not have audio output.

My only explanation is that it seems as soon as you say your plugin supports midi out Cubase makes it into an instrument irrespective of the flags or anything else.
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I think Cubase uses the VST Module Architecture (SDK) for Midi plugins. It's a bit dumb in my opinion because VST2 has all the ingredients to get this working and that is how other hosts do it and that is why nobody supports it. This Module Architecture is also the basis for the new VST3 SDK. It's not a bad design, it's just stupid that Cubase does not accept a normal VST2 plugin as a midi plugin.