This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Announcement: Modular audio engine with VST.NET

Topics: 3rd Party Libs, Audio, Host Development, Host Processing, VST.NET Core, VST.NET Framework, VST.NET Interop
Dec 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Edited Dec 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I thought i also post this here:
Ready for xmas there is a preview release of the new vvvv audio engine for everyone to check out.

For now the focus of the engine was not so much DSP programming but flexible signal routing for large scale media installations and VST support.

For those who do not know vvvv, there is a concept which is called 'Spreads'. This lets you send an array/list of data over a single connection (cable). This applied to audio signals gives very powerful routing options. For example, if you create a VSTHost node, load a stereo effect into it and connect a link with 16 audio channels to it, the engine will create 8 instances of the effect. You can then switch between the instances with a number to control them individually or you can expose a parameter as a pin to vvvv and control this parameter for all instances at once.

See an example in the video below at about 1:50 min.

The concept of spreads goes even further: If you provide multiple vst files to the VSTHost node, you can (if they are mono plugins) open different plugins for each channel of the signal Spread.

You can download the alpha release here:
http://vvvv.org/contribution/vvvv.audio-pack-alpha

This video shows a bit clicking around with the engine. Better videos to come when i had some sleep :):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VchIgx5jtns

Big credits to:
Marc Heath for NAudio
Marc Jacobi for VST.NET
Aleksey Vaneev for r8brain SRC

This is windows only.

Merry xmas!
Coordinator
Dec 26, 2013 at 7:49 AM
That looks really good! Congrats!

Now go to bed! ;-P
Dec 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM
thank you... was really a pleasure to work with VST.NET. everything was working as expected, very productive... without it, i would not be able to make it.
Coordinator
Dec 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM
That is wonderful to hear.