This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Can I send&return audio from the plugin to other tracks/buses

Topics: Plugin Development
Feb 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Hi,

I would like to develop a plugin with VST.NET that can send & receive audio data from other tracks/buses like the send & return feature on common DAWs.
Is this possible within the scope of a plugin?

Thanks,
Dirk
Feb 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Depending on the routing capabilities of the host, you could perhaps use extra inputs and outputs to communicate between plugins...? (similar to side-chaining?)

So you make a plugin with two sets of (stereo) inputs and outputs. One set just passes the samples from the input to the output. The extra set of outputs is controlled by you plugin logic and sends under certain circumstances a copy of the samples of the normal input out (side-ways) of the plugin. If the host allows you to connect these side-outputs to the side-inputs of another instance of your plugin that merges the two sets of inputs, than I think you have what you are trying to accomplish.

Problem is that it depends greatly on the capabilities of the host and that the source and target plugin instances are fixed, they cannot be changed by any plugin logic - only by the user.

If you require more flexibility than you may have to consider passing the sample information between instances of your plugin by some in-memory shared buffer. This is not really easy to make but it is possible. Greatest issue is how to identify and find other plugin instances.

Hope it helps,
Marc