This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Ableton Won't Reload VST

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:50 AM
I suddenly have a problem on loading Ableton projects where MySynth is a part of the project. If I load a project with MySynth in it, I get the error:

VST "MySynth": The VST Plug-in could not be found.

Yet, if I delete the plug-in, and then double click on it, it successfully creates the plugin. It's not a problem in the instantiation of the plugin - it's just something that Ableton is complaining about. What do I do?
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2015 at 6:06 AM
Could be a lot of things - most of them probably Ableton-specific ;-)

I would guess that the persisted plugin data in the song/project you're loading is not compatible any more with the current plugin version...?
Try to recreate the current plugin version in your project.

Hope it helps,
Marc
Aug 22, 2015 at 11:05 PM
In the end, I found out that it was to do with the PluginInformation that I was returning on GetPluginInfo. I haven't figured out exactly what the problem was, but I think it's something about the plugin ID. Ableton seems to be sensitive about this stuff for some reason. Anyway, here works fine:
                GlobalVariables.PluginInfo = new VstPluginInfo();
                GlobalVariables.PluginInfo.AudioInputCount = 2;
                GlobalVariables.PluginInfo.AudioOutputCount = 2;
                GlobalVariables.PluginInfo.ProgramCount = 1;
                GlobalVariables.PluginInfo.Flags = VstPluginFlags.HasEditor | VstPluginFlags.CanReplacing | VstPluginFlags.IsSynth | VstPluginFlags.ProgramChunks;
                GlobalVariables.PluginInfo.PluginID = 1234;
                GlobalVariables.PluginInfo.PluginVersion = 1;
                GlobalVariables.PluginInfo.ParameterCount = 8;
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2015 at 6:22 AM
The plugin Id is the unique identification of your plugin. So if you change it, the host thinks its a different plugin and cannot find it.
Always keep that Id the same for the entire lifetime of the plugin (once released). If you release new versions of your plugin - keep it the same. That way you can implement backwards compatibility with your older versions.

[2c]
Marc
Aug 23, 2015 at 10:54 PM
No worries!

Actually, that's a great piece of information seeing that I will have to be able to uniquely identify synths, and be able to check if a given computer has a valid version of the synth installed.